Although the fictional Mr Porter may feel like a very mature and sophisticated gent, he’s only just turning 10 years old. To mark Mr Porter’s 10th anniversary, the retailer is rolling out the Mr Porter Futures initiative which will give three young designers mentorship and the tools they need to enter the increasingly competitive luxury fashion world.
Mr Porter Futures revolves around the 10th-anniversary themes of craftsmanship, discovery, inclusivity, and community, and applications have just opened. With the aim of identifying and nurturing new design talent from outside the fashion mainstream, the initiative looks to break down the barriers to luxury fashion by drawing from an international pool to discover original voices that can be nurtured and lifted onto a global stage.
After a year-long program of workshops and one-to-one coaching from six leading mentors, candidates will gain the marketing and retail skills needed to build a successful brand in today’s fashion landscape. The mentor selection committee features some of the most knowledgeable and exciting names in fashion right now, from Nicholas Daley, Tatsuo Hino, Reese Cooper, and Judith Tolley to Mr Porter’s own Julie Ragolia, Olie Arnold, and Sam Kershaw. Keep your eyes peeled for three responsibly sourced and produced collections in partnership with Mr Porter’s in-house label Mr P. dropping in September 2022 as the final hurrah.
What: Submit a Design Brief to illustrate an idea for a menswear or product collection to be sold on Mr Porter
When: The deadline for applications is Sunday 6 June at 11.59pm BST
Where: Find all application information and submission links here.
How: Applicants must fit the following criteria:
• Applicants must be aged 18 or older
• Open to individuals or design duos only
• Must not be a current MR PORTER brand or a brand currently in contract with MR PORTER or YOOX-NET-A-PORTER GROUP
• Cannot already own a registered or trademarked business with an annual turnover of over €10,000
• Agree to work with MR PORTER to develop a (minimum) 15-piece menswear ready-to-wear collection (we are unable to accept applications for technical sportswear, accessories, or footwear collections)
• Must be able to undertake the majority of the program remotely
• Must be available to attend sessions in London on to-be-confirmed dates in August, November 2021, and TBC
Spring, September 2022 (all travel expenses will be fully covered by MR PORTER)
• Must agree to participate in progress reviews
• Able to submit their application in English and participate in English-language courses